Thursday, May 15, 2014

Don't Be a Scrooge

Earlier this month, as I was walking around the mall with my family, we noticed a kiosk for a local cupcake shop. The baker sat on her chair, with her goodies lined up along the counter, and tended to her customers. My oldest daughter, an aspiring cupcake master, took notice. She pleaded with me to take her over to the baker because she wanted to ask some questions. After milling around, I leaned over to my husband and pointed out our little one's desire.


Image from MS Office Clipart
We trotted over to the kiosk. The baker, an older lady with a bright smile, greeted us. She pulled out a tray filled with mini cupcakes and offered us each a sample. Nerves took over and caused my daughter to remain silent. I had to take control before she walked away disappointed. I scooted closer to the baker and said, "My daughter is an aspiring cupcake maker. Would you be willing to answer a few questions for her?"

"Sure!" she exclaimed before turning to face my little girl. "What would you like to know?"

My daughter quickly opened up and asked her questions. The baker shared what she needed to do in order to get her own bake shop, which includes going to school to learn about business management as well as baking courses. She also shared how she tests her cupcakes in order to create delicious treats everyone likes. When she was finished, she said to my daughter, "When my new store opens up, you can come and help me decorate the cupcakes if you want."

A big smile stretched wide across my daughter's little face, and beams of lights radiated out from her before she replied, "I would like that." The baker handed over a business card to her. "Thank you!" she said to the baker.

"You're welcome! Hope to see you soon!" the baker stated. We walked away, after buying several cupcakes of course, and continued our stroll around the mall. Crystal remained on cloud nine.

"I cannot believe I got to talk to a real baker!" she kept exclaiming, as she floated from store to store. When we got home, the happy little girl proudly displayed the business card on her treasure board.

So, as you can see, it is very important to take time to help others. The baker could have easily shooed us away, but she welcomed the chance to help a little girl with a big dream. It was a moment that I am sure my daughter will never forget for the rest of her life. Again, thank you, cupcake baker, for taking the time out of your day and teaching all of us the importance of helping others.

Dear Reader, who will you help today? Tell us your story below!

Peace and love, my friends!

~Jaclyn

Please "Like" me on Facebook, "Follow" me on Twitter, or connect with me on G+. And don't forget to check out my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment